June 29, 2008

Sun Kissed Cottage



This is a commission that will end up being one of two house paintings that will be a gift. I have to say I really like how this one has turned out and it really is better in person.

Sometimes,in those early stages of a painting, I often wonder how this mess of paint strokes will ever come together to look like something. Most of the time they do and we have a painting. Even I am amazed at how I manage to pull it off.

And then there are the other times. Like this morning. As I was sitting on my porch I became fascinated with the way the morning light was coming through the leaves and hitting the branches of the tree, so I ran in and hauled out my paint gear and set to painting. well.... this time the mess stayed a mess - three times. I wiped it.(3 times) Plein Air painting is hard. For one, I feel like I am always in a race to finish before everything changes. Between the light changing, the wind blowing everything around and the complicated perspective I chose, it just wasn't meant to be, although it really makes me even more determined to find the right approach for achieving success. While I love the idea of it, I seem to spend a lot of time with no material results - at least none that I would show. I know it will certainly help me grow as an artist but I do find it difficult, frustrating and glorious all at the same time.

Sun Kissed Cottage
8x10 oil on canvas panel
SOLD

Thanks for visiting!
©2008 Deb Kirkeeide. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully rendered, Deb! I just love it.

Christine DeCamp said...

Deb,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I love this painting--esp. the free handling of the paint--something I am trying to get better at. Your paintings are lovely--keep up the good work!
Christine

Joy Logan said...

Love how you captured the shadows and light! Yes I can feel the moment in this piece.

Artists With Artitude said...

Deb!!! So nice to meet you finally!!! WHAT A GORGEOUS PICTURE!! YAY!!


You are THE MASTER OF PAINTING!!

Deb Kirkeeide said...

Thanks so much to all of your comments.
And yes, Neda, the mysterious woman behind the paintings is revealed- I really do have a face! ;)