April 22, 2010

Flora, Goddess of Flowers

 Flora
24x18 Oil on Canvas

As this painting evolved, I wondered at what I was actually saying here (I'm still not sure, but does it really matter?) The name Flora kept coming to mind. So I wondered if there was a goddess somewhere by that name.
And of course there was! In Roman mythology she was the goddess of flowers and the season of spring. Being one of the fertility goddesses, her association with spring gave her particular importance at the coming of springtime. Her festival , the Floralia, was held in April or early May and symbolized the renewal of the cycle of life, marked with dancing, drinking and flowers. How else do you celebrate such things?

Anybody care to join me in a celebration?

Coming up:

Did I tell you that I was this weeks featured artist on Empty Easel? I got a nice little review on my animal paintings. Check it out - both my review AND the site. It's a great resource for artists.

Today marks the opening of the Spring Art Salon at Anne and Friends in Wayzata, MN with new nature inspired art. I was asked to participate with a wonderful group of artists. And April 30 is their ARTY PARTY to celebrate (with dancing, drinking and flowers???) Should be fun! Stop by if you are in the area.

And next weekend is the Lake Minnetonka Arts Tour in which I am participating. I will be the guest (I evidently don't live close enough to the lake, I am up for moving though) of another artist, sculptor Patty Carmody Smith. I love her work and it seems we both have a fondness for ravens, nature and the feminine spirit. Check out her wonderful art. And come and see us! We're at location 16.

10 comments:

Ann Flower said...

I am amazed to see the painting on your blog. It looks awesome. All I can say that you are extremely talented.

Deborah said...

I'm a bit sorry not to live closer, Deb - the art show/celebration sounds like fun! Another lovely painting today - I am floored as to how you do all this. Maybe you never sleep??
(PS Near my home in western Canada is a Lake Minnewonka...)

Karen Steffano said...

Your pet portraits are superb!
Empty Easel was right, you have a real knack for capturing emotion, always a sign for me of a good artist.
I also love the freshness of the brushstrokes, it is amazing how you capture so much with such lightness and ease.

GYPSYWOMAN said...

and such an extraordinary goddess flora is - magnificent - the colors are superb and then, there is her gaze - right into the eyes of us all - really beautiful, deb - and she invites us to join her in the wonderful land of flowers! really a great piece!!

Deb Kirkeeide said...

Thank you Anne. So nice of you to say so.

Deborah - that would be great fun if you could stop by! Lake Minnewonka? All I can think of now, is Lake WillieWonka!
Is it filled with chocolate?

Karen thank you, thank you!

Jenean - so good to see you back. Thank you.

Double "D" said...

Hi Deb,

Say, is Flora any relation to the Summer Queen?
They're both beautiful!

You certainly have a way with eye's, so soft and
welcoming. It's hard to look away.
It would be awesome to visit the art show and
celebrate with you. Say, how far is Rochester from
where you live? I'll be there July 1st.
Doug

Deb Kirkeeide said...

Yes Doug, I think they are related.

Rochester to Mpls is about 90 miles.
what are you doing in Rochester? I'm sure it isn't for the exciting nightlife...

Double "D" said...

Going to Mayo Clinic.
Fun stuff!

Calli said...

Oh, she's stunning, Deb. She lives and breathes within those flowers.

Love it!

Hey, girl, congrats on Empty Easel and the art tour.

Great (long overdue) visit~
~Calli

Deb Kirkeeide said...

thanks Calli! nice to see you again!